What 8th Graders Did During D.C. Week at School

Getting+Ready+to+Leave+for+the+Museum+of+Tolerance+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Getting Ready to Leave for the Museum of Tolerance

• Getting Ready to Leave for the Museum of Tolerance

• 8th Grade @ the Museum of Tolerance

• Walking to the Pasadena Playhouse

• Getting Ready to Go Inside the Pasadena Playhouse

• Seated to Watch the Play

• 8th Grade with an Actor from the Play

During the week of April 24, about half of the 8th grade went on a trip to Washington D.C. However, 27 students stayed behind and did not go on the trip. Here at school, the teachers still had fun things planned for the students who did not go on the trip. On Monday, students learned how a bill becomes a law and had the chance to create their own bill and have their fellow peers vote to see if the bill should become a law. They started a project in math that relates to STEM (science, technology, engineering, mathematics) that will be correlate with an activity in science. The project in math allowed the students to see how big and how far our solar system actually is and how far away planets are from one another. In Spanish class, students got to watch the movie The Book of Life and answered questions that corresponded with the movie. On Tuesday, students took what they learned on Monday about how a bill becomes a law and created a board game reflecting what they learned. In math, they continued and finished their STEM project. The STEM project ended with students creating a replica of what they did on paper and transferred it in the hallway from the 1st and 2nd grade bathrooms all the way down to 5th grade. The students drew and cut out planets on paper and then laid them out in the hallway in exactly where they were supposed to go. This was supposed to give a visual to everyone about how close/far planets really are from one another. In science class, students expanded on the idea of planets and compared the sizes of all the planets. They then tried to compare the size of the planets to fruit. On Wednesday, students had the chance to play each others board games that were created on Tuesday and at 9:00 am students walked over to the Pasadena Playhouse to watch a play on Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia that is called “The Originalist”. The play showed the relationship between the Justice Antonin Scalia and his clerk and how they influenced and changed each other for the better. During religion, the 8th graders got to start watching a movie called Jesus Christ Superstar. This was a movie that was made in the 70’s and tells Biblical stories in a more modern way by mixing the old with the new. On Thursday, the 8th grade left school at 7:45 am to go to a field trip at the Museum of Tolerance. There they learned about the history of World War II, specifically the Holocaust, and that everyone can make a difference as long as they try their best at what they are doing. The 8th graders came back at around 12:45 pm, ate lunch, and then went to religion where they continued the movie Jesus Christ Superstar. Even though these 27 8th graders stayed behind, they still had a lot of fun this week.