Teacher of the Month: Mrs. Welsh

The teacher of the month for May is Mrs. Welsh. While Mrs. Welsh is not a teacher, she is still a very important person at St. Philip. To learn a little bit more about what Mrs. Welsh does and who she is, we interviewed her for this month’s, teacher of the month article, here are her responses. Mrs. Welsh is the Development Director at St. Philip the Apostle School. That means she is part of the Administration Team and she reports directly to Mrs. Ramirez. Mrs. Welsh is responsible for planning, guiding, and evaluating the development efforts of the school in fundraising, marketing, event planning, grant writing, communication, alumni affairs and public relations. She works closely with the School Board and PTO members, donors, parish/school staff and faculty. Ms. Tricia Ortega works with her as well. She can only do her job because there are so many nice parents and parishioners who volunteer their time to help. Mrs. Welsh has worked at St. Philip for 5 years. All four of her children went to St. Philip so before working here, she volunteered at St. Philip for 16 years. She also worked as the Human Resource Director at (what’s now) Accenture for a long time too. She is a graduate of the University of Notre Dame (GO IRISH!) and she loves football, rugby and basketball.

Her favorite thing about her job? She has soooo many favorite things! Mrs. Welsh love all the people she gets to work with. Everyone is so talented and interesting. They have great ideas and keep her inspired. She loves the variety of her work. One thing she does is manage the annual giving campaign, Blessed are the Children. The campaign raises money to keep our tuition low and provide tuition assistance to those who need a little extra help. Just for that, they produce brochures, solicit funds, collect donations, celebrate with a Pie ‘N Burger party, have a great committee to run events to appreciate everyone who donates, and try to get to know all the nice people who support St. Philip. She also really likes telling stories about all the great things we do here at St. Philip. “Our students work hard and do amazing things here and after they graduate. Our teachers and staff are an incredible group that guide and nurture students along the way.”

Mrs. Welsh doesn’t really have a favorite memory working at St. Philip but she loves all our St. Philip traditions. It’s so special to see families start here with their kindergartners, and watch them grow through their years here and then graduate. She also really loves our school families. Of course, Family #35 is her favorite, but they also just happen to be her family. It’s been a treasure to watch students grow through the family and all become these wonderful 8th grade leaders. Mrs. Welsh also loves the way they care for one another. Like all families, we may have our issues, but in the end, she would do anything for them.

Interesting Facts:

Mrs. Welsh was born in Michigan. She attended 8 different grade schools growing up. Her dad was transferred with work in the automotive industry. She lived in Venezuela for four years (8-12 years old). After college, she moved to California. Mrs. Welsh and her husband have been married 30 years. They have 4 awesome kids who live all over and they’re about to be empty-nesters:

Nolan – Geologist in Elko, NV (SP’05, Loyola ’09, Notre Dame’13)

Keenan – USAF pilot going to RAF Mildenhal AFB United Kingdom (SP’06, St. Francis ’10, USAFA ’14)

Nora – Researcher at National Institute of Health in Washington, DC (SP’08, FSHA’12, Georgetown ’16)

Trafton – Senior at St. Francis HS; off to Belmont in Nashville in the fall to pursue a career in the music business

Thank you so much Mrs. Welsh for all you do for Saint Philip. You are truly a blessing to have!

1 Comment

One Response to “Teacher of the Month: Mrs. Welsh”

1. Mrs. Ramirez on May 9th, 2017 6:56 am

Thank you, Mrs. Welsh!

[Reply]

*

• Teacher of the Month: Mrs. Welsh

Showcase

Saint Philip the Apostle’s 90th Anniversary

• Teacher of the Month: Mrs. Welsh

Falconidae News (6-8)

8th Graders Are Interviewed By Father Joe

• Teacher of the Month: Mrs. Welsh

Showcase

Family Activity

• Teacher of the Month: Mrs. Welsh

Showcase

Teacher of the Month: Ms. Muff

• Teacher of the Month: Mrs. Welsh

Showcase

Interviewing New Teachers

• Teacher of the Month: Mrs. Welsh

3rd to 5th

Amazing Book For Your Summer Reading!

• Teacher of the Month: Mrs. Welsh

Opinion

Goodbye Class of 2017!

• Teacher of the Month: Mrs. Welsh

Learning

Technology for the Capstone Multimedia Project

• Teacher of the Month: Mrs. Welsh

Eyas News (K-5)

Kindergarten Field Trip

• Teacher of the Month: Mrs. Welsh

Showcase

Girls in STEM

Teacher of the Month: Mrs. Welsh