Filed under News

New Cure for Children’s Leukemia

Children’s cancer is an extremely devastating disease, that many children unfortunately have to suffer from. One of the most common types of childhood cancer is leukemia. This is a disease where, abnormal white blood cells form in the bone marrow, and later spread throughout the body when they enter the bloodstream. White blood cells only take up about 1% of a human’s blood, but they are very important, because they help your body fight off viruses, infections, and much more. This new treatment, will involve taking out a portion of the patient’s white blood cells, redesigning them to fight against the cancer, and then re injecting the cells back into the patient. The official name of this treatment is called, CAR-T and has already proven to cure children who suffer from leukemia for children younger than the age of 15. This treatment has already been proven to be a lot better than chemotherapy, and in tests performed, out of 52 patients tested, 83% were able to come out in full remission, this comes out to be about 44 patients. Although this treatment is so groundbreaking, it is very expensive and could be known as one of the most expensive treatments in medical history. But, a perk about this treatment, is that it only needs to be given once, compared to most cancer drugs, this is a very small number, because most drugs require usage until they stop working. Another good thing about this treatment, is that there aren’t known to be as many side effects compared to most cancer drugs. The known side effects are, fever and hallucinations. This is because, all that the treatment is doing is giving you more cells to fight off the disease, and since the cells are fighting so hard, they could cause patients to have some problems. Scientists are not yet sure if the cancer that is claimed to be gone, will come back, so the patient is supposed to be monitored for 15 years. Gene therapy isn’t just being used to cure leukemia, it is also being used to cure other types of life threatening cancer as well. Overall, this treatment is extremely beneficial, and will help improve the lives of all children suffering from leukemia.

For more information about this topic, visit Leukemia cure information