Filed under Out and About

My Trip To Colombia

Hello all! Today I am here to talk about a tradition of my family and I. We are Colombian, and most of our family and friends live in the wonderful country. Since the age of 3 months old until now, I have always looked forward to visiting my favorite place around the holidays. Colombia seems to have a negative meaning, understandably because of its past. The country has significantly improved, and is not one bit as it used to be. Everyone is like a family there and people genuinely care about others. My favorite part about our annual trip is going to visit my grandpa’s farm. At the farm there are horses, chickens, goats, cows, sheep, dogs, and cats. I am fortunate enough to own a horse (her name is Margarita). When I visit the farm it is a very calming experience and feels like a tiny break from the world. It is located on the very top of a mountain and is pretty hard to access. Colombia is well known for its coffee. It is very surprising of me not to like coffee, as most Colombians begin drinking coffee at age 8. The Christmas decorations all around different cities are spectacular. Surprisingly they are just a bit more over the top than they are here back home. Christmas lights and decor is such a big deal there that there was once a problem because there was too much electricity being used at one time! The most special part of spending Christmas time in Colombia is being able to engage in the novenas. A novena is a Colombian/ Catholic ritual where families unite daily, the nine days before Christmas. Each day is to represent 1 month of Jesus being in the womb of the Virgin Mary. During a novena, special prayers and songs are presented. After there are tasty Colombian treats given out and holiday cheer to spread. I hope you enjoyed getting to know my family and I a bit better :))

Happy Holidays! Remember if you have any stories or adventures to tell please comment. You can find the rules at this link:

https://falconsflyer.org/11470/special-report/new-segment-student-adventures/