Filed under Entertainment

Rise on NBC

Back to Article
Back to Article

Rise on NBC

Rise is a brand new TV show on NBC. The show is based on a true story. A high school literature teacher has a passion for theatre, and he wants to take over for the drama program at the school. Except, there are several bumps in the road. He has a family at home, there’s already a drama director, and the director refuses to leave. Mr. Mazzuchelli (the now new drama director) plans to do “Spring Awakening” for the musical. He wants to give all the kids who never got the chance to be in the spotlight a good role. And that’s his goal, but the other teachers and directors disagree with the idea. Mr. Mazzuchelli casts a football player, Robbie Thorne as the lead role, Melchior Gabor. This is a huge problem because this is where everything seems to fall apart (but is eventually fixed). Thorne is the quarterback on the school’s football team, and “the best player they have”, according to the coach. So, of course, the coach immediately declines the offer and says no to Robbie being in the musical. But, Mr. Mazzuchelli works his way around things and convinces the coach to let him be in. Once the musical is casted, the parents of Simon (one of the actors in the production) read the script. They find that the material is explicit and the couple doesn’t want their child to partake in the performance. Simon refuses to listen and the show goes on. The budget is low for the musical, meaning they have almost nothing to work with while practicing. Mr. Mazzu insists that the show will still go on, and he is passionate about it. There are some family issues he is enduring while trying to put on this production. But – the show must go on. Currently, there are only 6 episodes, and more to come. Tune into Rise on NBC every Tuesday at 9 p.m. to learn more about the story and characters.