How Did Fortnite Get So Popular?

When you think of the word popular, what comes to mind? Is it a movie? A song? Nowadays, many people immediately think of Fortnite. Announced almost seven years ago, in 2011, it originally started as a co-op zombie survival mode. Development went on for many years before it finally entered early access on July 25, 2017. Then, in September of 2017, everything changed with Fortnite’s battle royale mode. The premise is simple: you and ninety-nine other players are loaded into a sort of school bus/hot-air balloon hybrid. You fly over a large map and select a drop location from many wacky places such as Tilted Towers or Lazy Links. Once everyone is out of the bus, the game begins. You must scavenge for weapons and eliminate the opposition until you are the last one standing. Whichever person or team that survives until the end wins. This game has exploded in popularity over the past few months. Epic Games, Fortnite’s developer, has announced that Fortnite hit 125 million players in June, and, according to CNBC, it made $296 million in April and is on track to make over $3 billion dollars this year. But how does it make so much money? Unlike many other games, Fortnite follows the free-to-play format. This means that you can download and play Fortnite without paying anything, yet you can still buy the in-game currency known as V-Bucks. There are many other games like this, but many of them are what is known as pay-to-win. This means that the more you pay, the better you get. Fortnite is nothing like this. All of its purchases are purely cosmetic and don’t provide any in-game advantages. Still, how does a free game make so much money? In Fortnite, you can buy costumes and other cosmetic items. Many people spend thousands upon thousands of dollars to look better in the game. But that is not the only source of Fortnite’s income. You can also spend money to gain access to the original zombie mode. Another big factor in Fortnite’s income is eSports. ESports is basically video game sports. It has become huge in the past few years, with loads of people paying to watch tournaments. Fortnite is the most watched eSports video game, according to SuperData. Popular Fortnite eSports players include Ninja, TSM Myth, and Tfue. All this, and there is still more. Fortnite is also very good at advertising. They have made a mini-golf course and theme park for different video game conventions, and have very fun and exciting advertisements. All of this on top of a great game that you can play with your friends, and there is no question as to why Fortnite is so popular. For more information, please go to the following websites:

Fortnite Official Website

CNBC Fortnite Video

SuperData

Twitch (Where to watch eSports and streamers)

Epic Games Blog Statement

About the Writer
Arthur Camara, Contributor
Arthur Camara is in the 7th grade. He enjoys the Legend of Zelda, Fortnite, and the Flash. He likes writing about pop culture, technology, videogames, and entertainment. An interesting fact about him is that he plays the ocarina.