Filed under News

The Loss of a Hero: Senator John McCain

John McCain was a war hero and U.S. senator who recently passed away. So many are still mourning the death of this true American hero. John Sidney McCain was born on August 29, 1936, in Coco Solo, Panama. He died on August 25, 2018, at the age of 81 in Phoenix, Arizona. Senator McCain’s death was caused by a disease in the brain called Glioblastoma. He was diagnosed with Glioblastoma in 2017. John McCain had 5 children: Meghan, John Ⅳ, Bridget, Sidney, and James McCain. He was born into a military family and enlisted in the military in 1958. An interesting fact about Senator McCain is that he wrote an autobiography called “Faith of My Fathers” and it was later made into a television movie.

John McCain was an aircraft pilot in the Vietnam War. During one of his missions, his plane was shot down and he was taken captive by the Vietnamese. When his capturers found out that his father was a military leader, they told McCain that he could go free but he refused to leave because there were many other Americans who had been held captive longer than himself. John McCain was held captive for 5 ½ years until he was set free in 1973. In 1982, John McCain was elected into the House of Representatives and four years later became a part of the Senate.

In 2000, Senator McCain ran for president but lost to President George W. Bush. John McCain decided to run again in the 2008 presidential elections; his campaign was, “Born To Serve”. McCain lost the election to President Barack Obama, but a few days before the votes would be counted, John McCain appeared on Saturday Night Live and was a big hit! Senator McCain was cracking jokes and making everyone in the audience laugh. One of the surprising things about him was his sense of humor throughout his life.

John McCain was a wonderful person and served our country for 60 years. His private burial was September 2nd. He chose to be buried at the US Naval Academy Cemetery. Senator John Sidney McCain will forever be remembered as one of this Nation’s greatest leaders and heroes.

Works Cited:

http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/watch/sen-john-mccain-s-casket-arrives-at-naval-academy-cemetery-for-burial-1311622211619?v=raila&

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nW__awFSoSU