Filed under Opinion

Why Peer Editing is Ineffective

Back to Article
Back to Article

Why Peer Editing is Ineffective

Peer editing in class is something commonly practiced by teachers as a way to help improve essays written by students, but in some ways, peer editing is useless. While the purpose of peer editing is to let someone else check your work to make sure it all makes sense and make sure that there are no typos that have been overlooked by yourself, peer editing often makes writing more difficult for the author of the paper. When a student’s essay is edited by a peer, it is common for the author’s voice to get lost in someone else’s view of what is being discussed in the work. When I get my classwork peer edited I find that my work gets completely changed from what I envisioned for my work to portray. It can be frustrating when people crowd your class work with words that aren’t your own because it is easy to lose track of the original point you were trying to make while writing the work. When you write something in school your teacher would expect your words to be written in ink, not someone else’s words that have just adopted your writing style and changed the course of the writing. Furthermore, by letting another person replace your work with their own words, the paper loses some of its individuality because the paper is no longer written by only yourself. If writing an essay in class is about your personal writing skills, note-taking abilities, and reading comprehension, then peer editing ruins a lot of that because not only are your peers editing typos, they are also editing your ideas, your style, and how your writing makes its impact on the reader. Although the purpose of peer editing is good and peer editing is good for the learning of the author and the editor, in the end, any edits made cannot always be reliable because we are all still students and are therefore still learning.

About the Writers
Madison Grube, Contributor

Madison Grube is in the 8th grade this year. She has attended Saint Philip the Apostle School for 9 years now. She enjoys writing, drawing, reading, and...

Jessie Morales, contributor

Jessie Morales is an 8th grader who has attended St. Philips for 9 years. This is Jessie's 2nd year on the Falcon's Flyer Staff and her 3rd year on the...

1 Comment

One Response to “Why Peer Editing is Ineffective”

1. Arthur Camara on November 16th, 2018 12:38 pm

Finally! Someone realizes the truth! I feel like the peer who is editing your paper doesn’t pay much attention, and you will edit much better because this grade actually affects you. Thank you for writing this article!

*

• Why Peer Editing is Ineffective

Opinion

In Defense of J. R. R. Tolkien

• Why Peer Editing is Ineffective

Opinion

How Bryce Harper’s 13 year $330 million dollar deal will change free agency in the future

• Why Peer Editing is Ineffective

Opinion

Why the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim will be better than the Los Angeles Dodgers in 10 Years

• Why Peer Editing is Ineffective

Opinion

How the 5th Grade Curriculum helps get the 5th graders ready for Junior High

• Why Peer Editing is Ineffective

Opinion

Class Novels

• Why Peer Editing is Ineffective

Opinion

My Speech Experience

• Why Peer Editing is Ineffective

Opinion

How Debate Improves Students’ Skills

• Why Peer Editing is Ineffective

Opinion

MLB Free Agents Slow to Sign

• Why Peer Editing is Ineffective

Opinion

What I Want Out Of The Next Rocksteady Game

• Why Peer Editing is Ineffective

Opinion

Holiday Traditions

Why Peer Editing is Ineffective