Filed under Student Fiction

Fall-ish

Hi, my name is Zeus. I am a 4-year-old German Shepherd and I HATE fall (don’t even get me started with winter). It gets dark earlier, which means I have to go inside earlier, which means less playtime. My family leaves me for days at a time for something called a Thanksgiving. I don’t even know what a Thanksgiving is, but it sounds like pure evil. Last time my family went to a place called huh-why-ee and I was left with no one. Then my rude neighbors had to watch me because apparently, I’m not responsible enough to handle myself. This year is the fourth fall of my life and it is off to a horrible start.

November 10, 2018: 6 pm.

The past few days have been ROUGH! For some reason, it’s dark way earlier and my playtime gets cut to only 8 hours rather than 10 or 13. Today’s especially bad because I heard my mom talking about making a pie, a cake, and a ham for Thanksgiving. Thanksgiving sounds awfully greedy. This also means less family and more neighbors in just a few weeks. I whine and moan but nobody listens to me! I hate fall so much.

November 17, 2018: 3 pm.

Update: I LOVE fall! My family is bringing me with them to a Thanksgiving and I’ll get to play with cousins Ava, Vivi, Noah, Amelie, and Layla and my hound-mix friend Kona. I’ll get to ride in a cozy warm box with wheels for a while and then poof we’re there! Humans are so fascinating.

November 23, 2018: 8 am.

Today is the day after a Thanksgiving. Thanksgiving was a blast! I had so much love from relatives and so much food! Everything was so exciting and I am looking forward to the next time we get to do a Thanksgiving. The only thing I am not looking forward to is having to go through winter to do it all again.

November 28 (Thanksgiving), 2019: 2 pm.

Let’s do this!

About the Writer
Madison Chase, Contributor

Madison Chase is in 8B and loves to write and learn. This year will be her fourth year in Speech and Debate and her first year on the Falcon's Flyer staff....