Filed under Opinion

How Bryce Harper’s 13 year $330 million dollar deal will change free agency in the future

Opening Day for Major League Baseball is three weeks away and the big talk between MLB fans is the crazy amount of money that Bryce Harper and Manny Machado are receiving in their newly signed 10 and 13-year deals. Bryce Harper signed a deal for $330 million dollars over 13 years with the Philadelphia Phillies. This balances out for Bryce Harper to receive $10 million dollars in 2019, $26 million dollars annually from 2020 to 2028 and $22 million dollars from 2029 to 2031. Harper has already started to talk about how he would like Mike Trout to join him after the 2020 season in Philadelphia. Machado, on the other hand, decided to stay on the west coast and signed a 10 year $300 million dollar deal with the San Diego Padres. Machado will be earning about $30 million dollars a year for the next ten years. Machado and Harper are both great players but many wonder why these teams would be willing to give these players that are not even in the top 10 of the MLB.com top 100 players list. With the insane amounts of money that Harper and Machado are being given the question is being raised that players like Mike Trout and Mookie Betts might be the first $500 million-dollar paid players. With Trout and Betts being the 1st and 2nd ranked players on the top 100 players list this amount of money does not seem that far fetched. Machado and Harper’s deals are the most paid to a free agent ever. Only  Giancarlo Stanton’s $325 million dollar extension deal with the Miami Marlins comes close to the amounts of money that Machado and Harper were paid. With the amount of money that players are asking for on the rise the question that is asked by many is how much money will the average deal for a premier player in the MLB be like 10 years from now. The amount of money that teams will pay players to come and play for their team is incredibly high now and is only on the rise.

About the Writer
Joe Krasnowski, Contributer

Joe Krasnowski is a eighth grade student that enjoys walking and playing with his dog as well as play baseball in his free time. His favorite Sport is...