Filed under Special Report

Stations of the Cross

Hi Falcons! Now that it is Lent, we start to reflect on ourselves, reconcile, and recite the Stations of the Cross. If you don’t know what the Stations of the Cross are, it is a routine that St. Philip’s does annually.

What are the Stations of the Cross?

The Stations of the Cross are 14 stations of Christ’s crucifixion, Passion, and death. The ceremony begins with the singing of the song “Were You There?”, and then each of the stations is read. At the 12th station, the station where Jesus dies on the cross, everyone kneels to pay respects to Christ. Then, the last two stations are read and then everyone sings “Were You There?” again.

Thoughts

As an 8th grader who started at St. Philips in first grade, this is my 8th and final year doing Stations of the Cross. This tradition has remained the exact same as when it was my first time, except, now there are more times I have done this than I have more to do. I think that Stations of the Cross is a great time to reflect and contemplate everything on your mind as you can relate your suffering to Jesus.

What is the history behind the Stations of the Cross?

In any time between AD 30 and 36, Jesus was condemned to death for not following the Romans’ polytheistic rules and “threatening” the throne of Rome. Though Jesus had never sinned, the Romans felt that Jesus had begun to be too powerful and influential. So, they persecuted Jesus. Unfortunately, the Jews, that had followed Jesus for so long, turned on Him and encouraged His crucifixion. As Jesus carried a 100-plus-pound cross on His shoulders, He encountered multiple obstacles as He neared Golgotha, the place of His death. When Jesus died, the sun stopped shining, as even the Lord was in pain watching His only son die before Him. 3 days after Jesus perished, He rose from the tomb he was laid in and roamed Earth again for a short while. This day is celebrated as Easter.

In the 11th century, people began to go on pilgrimages to recreate the Via Dolorosa, or the path of Jesus carrying His cross. This happened around the time of the Crusades and took place in the Holy Land. People would do penance on themselves to signify Christ’s suffering and Passion on His journey. As this practice continued, more and more traditions sprung in this practice and is why we recite the Stations of the Cross today.

Sources:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stations_of_the_Cross

About the Writer
Madison Chase, Contributor

Madison Chase is in 8B and loves to write and learn. This year will be her fourth year in Speech and Debate and her first year on the Falcon's Flyer staff....