Filed under Opinion

In Defense of J. R. R. Tolkien

J. R. R. Tolkien is often regarded as one of the most influential authors in recent literature (yes, the early twentieth century is considered recent). However, he is often criticized for using wordy and difficult language. However, that is not what I think. I believe that through his use of language, he is able to better craft the incredibly detailed world of Middle-earth and its inhabitants.

One common criticism of Tolkien is that he uses worldbuilding techniques too often. This involves describing how a place looks with vivid pictures and great detail. However, people say that he uses an unnecessary amount of these images throughout his books. I believe that his worldbuilding is what connects us to Middle-earth. It allows us to feel that we are truly a companion of Bilbo or Frodo Baggins on their magnificent journeys. It allows us to construct powerful mental images of the fantastic creatures and landscapes of Middle-earth. Through Tolkien’s worldbuilding, we become a part of Middle-earth.

Another thing that Tolkien is criticized for is his difficult language. He uses difficult words and sentence structure, however, Tolkien is able to make this a good thing. His use of very detailed, but difficult, words enables him to express his vision of Middle-earth in an incredibly vivid way. He carefully chooses his language, despite its difficulty, to help give us the best experience of Middle-earth.

Regardless of whether you love or hate J. R. R. Tolkien, you cannot deny the impact he had on literature. I believe that the way he structures his books is what helps make them fantastic. What do you think?

About the Writer
Arthur Camara, Contributor

Arthur Camara is in the 7th grade. He enjoys the Legend of Zelda, Fortnite, and the Flash. He likes writing about pop culture, technology, videogames,...