Watching the 2021 Inauguration at Home

On January 20, 2021, President Joe Biden was inaugurated and became president. The Inauguration took place in Washington D.C. It is a ceremony where the president-elect becomes president. During school that day, the St. Philip students got the chance to watch it and learn about the inauguration process. Grades TK-3rd grade did not watch the actual ceremony, but they did learn about it. Grades 4th-8th grade watched a video about the inauguration and watched the actual ceremony on a live stream presented by their teachers.

The US Capitol during the ceremony

The students were able to see President  Biden being sworn in as the 46th  President and Kamala Harris as the first woman Vice President. Ella Montanez, a student in 7th grade said, “I think it’s pretty cool that [Kamala Harris] is the first female vice president and that it’s a historic time”. At the inauguration, former presidents and vice presidents were there to watch the ceremony. “I think it was cool that all the past presidents were there”, Cooper Longo, a 5th-grade student said. There were also musical performances by popular musical artists like Lady Gaga, Garth Brooks, and Jennifer Lopez. Hannah Alfaro, a 7th-grade student, said, “I liked the musical performances.”