The Thanksgiving Tradition

Thanksgiving is only a week away, and it is one of America’s favorite holidays.

Every fourth Thursday of November, Americans from coast to coast celebrate Thanksgiving.

Time is spent with family and friends, who collectively feast on a variety of delicious foods.

How did this holiday originate?

Thanksgiving goes back to the 1600’s, when the pilgrims and the Native Americans first encountered each other.

The Native Americans taught the Pilgrims how to cultivate particular crops, which ultimately turned out to be a life-saving development.

In 1621, they shared a great feast, but the particular details of that “first” Thanksgiving are somewhat complicated.

The holiday of Thanksgiving that Americans know today, however, originated in the 19th century.

In 1863, President Abraham Lincoln issued a proclamation calling for the last Thursday in November to be set aside as a day of “Thanksgiving and Praise”.

Later, 78 years to be exact, the U.S. Congress passed a law designating the fourth Thursday of November as the official “Thanksgiving Day” holiday.

Today people of all different races, religions, and families come together to celebrate thanksgiving. Some very famous traditions on thanksgiving include playing/watching football, having a feast, and going/watching parades. Thanksgiving is a great Holiday that everyone should celebrate. So next time you sit down at a table for Thanksgiving dinner, remember how the holiday started and be thankful for all of your blessings.

View Comments (1)