Earth Day

Earth+Day

Earth Day 2024 was recently celebrated, and hopefully many people took some time to think about the planet and its many forms of life.

A poll conducted by Yale and George Mason University researchers in December 2022 found that almost 70% of Americans were worried about climate change, and 35% said they were “angry” about it.

We always hear about the bad things about climate change, but many animals came back from near-extinction with the help of people being more eco conscious.

The Mallorcan Midwife Toad is one of the smallest toads in the world, and it does not handle climate change well at all.

Facing extinction, due in part to changes in land and water usage, the toad had almost disappeared.

Fortunately, conservation actions, such as captive breeding programs, helped increase the population.

The Mallorcan Midwife Toad is now identified as “vulnerable” instead of critically endangered. 

The Island Night Lizard was another animal facing dire consequences.

These lizards only live on a few islands off the coast of southern California.

Unlike most lizards, they give birth instead of laying eggs.

When humans introduced non-native species to the islands, such as goats and pigs, their habitat was disrupted significantly.

Through various conservation efforts, all of the nonnative animals have been removed and people have become better educated on matters related to habitat and creating a sustainable and thriving environment.

There are now about 21 million Island Night Lizards on three islands, making their status less critical.

Many other animals saved from near-extinction include the Shortnose Sturgeon, the Peregrine Falcon, and the Rodrigues Fruit Bat.

These animals each have a particular role in the ecosystem, and when their habitats are dramatically changed, the impact on the world is clearly noticeable.

With the help of humans caring for animals and the planet itself, the future will certainly look bright.