Filed under Opinion

U.S. Senate Races

Not all of the Senate seats are up for election but 33 out of the 100 seats are. As of right now, Republicans hold 51 senate members which means they hold the Senate and that is very important for the Republican party to take at least 8 seats. The Democrats have 47 members in the Senate, and the remaining two spots are held by Independents. The Democrats have to protect 25 out of their 47 seats in the November elections meaning 25 of their seats are up for election and the Republicans luckily only have to only protect 8 of their 51 seats. The bad news about this is that if the Republicans are unable to win 8 out of the 33 seats they will no longer control the Senate. The states with Senator(s) up for election are Arizona, California, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Hawaii, Indiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Dakota, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin, and Wyoming.  Hopefully, the Republicans get to hold their eight seats and get more seats from these elections to provide more insurance when there is a Senate vote. In the California senate race, only one out of their two Senators is up for election Feinstein a long time Senator who many people would like to see gone but the only candidate close in voter percentage is Kevin De Leon. Out of those two, I would not recommend either of them to be one of our California Senators. The Senate elections can still have some states flipped especially the lean states with so much time until the November election.

For more information go to

https://ballotpedia.org/Special_elections_to_the_115th_United_States_Congress_(2017-2018)

http://fox5sandiego.com/2018/05/22/dozens-hope-to-unseat-feinstein-in-californias-u-s-senate-race/