The Advent Wreath Candles

The word “Advent” comes from the Latin word “adventus,” which means the coming or the arrival.”

Homes and churches are decorated during Advent, in joyful anticipation of Jesus’ arrival, and one of the most popular decorations includes the Advent Wreath.

This year, Advent began on Sunday, December 3, and it will end on Sunday, December 24.

There are four colored candles lit during the four weeks of Advent, three purple and one pink.

In week one, the first candle is a purple candle and is referred to as the Prophecy Candle. This candle represents hope for the world, and it signifies Isaiah’s foretelling of the birth of Christ and the promises God gave in the Old Testament that would be fulfilled by His birth.

During week two, a second purple candle is lit. This candle is called the Bethlehem Candle. It stands for peace in the world and reminds the faithful of Mary and Joseph’s journey from Nazareth to Bethlehem before Mary gave birth to Jesus.

For week three, a color change takes place for what the Church calls “Gaudete Sunday”.  Gaudete is Latin for “rejoice”. This candle is pink or rose and is referred to as the Shepherd’s Candle. It represents joy for the world and is a reminder of the shepherds who journeyed to see Jesus in Bethlehem, even before the wise men.

Finally, on the fourth and last Sunday before Christmas, a final purple candle is lit. It is known as the Angel’s Candle and represents love for the world. 

Advent is a season of joyous preparation for Christmas and the Advent Wreath is a reminder of why that preparation is important and meaningful

View Comments (3)