Recorders in Seventh Grade

Music is something that makes almost everyone happy. Music inspires us, gives us joy, makes us forget about all of the things that we worry about in the world, relaxes us. The lyrics and instruments speak to us in a way words never can. Children today are very interested in music. They go home after school and play their music while doing homework. They listen to music on the way to school, and some are even lucky enough to have music classes in school. St. Philip the Apostle students are some of those lucky children. They have music classes once a week with Mrs. Homan, the music teacher. Most of the students really enjoy listening to music, and some have dreamed about having a career in the music industry. If they want to have this be a career, whether it is singing, producing, or anything else, it is important for a musician to be able to read music. Currently, many of the students are getting deeper into reading music using different instruments. The seventh graders in particular are using recorders.

A recorder is a flute-like woodwind musical instrument. The purpose of using the recorders in seventh grade is to give the students experience on a wind instrument and to aid them in learning to read music. The recorders will also give the students the experience of playing in an ensemble. This teaches them teamwork, the importance of timing, and taking responsibility for their own part in the group effort, like in sports. With this program in action, students at St. Philip will experience three major instrumental groups, all being played by different grades. These groups are the percussion (the xylophones,) strings (guitars,) and wind (recorders.) Although the eighth graders have begun to use their instrument, the guitar, the seventh graders have not yet begun to use the recorders, they have not arrived yet.

Music is very special. It can make us see things in a way nothing else can. A lot of people today are very interested in making their passion for music a serious career. Although most of these people want to sing or produce pop/modern music, it is very important for anyone in the industry to read music and play instruments. The recorders, guitars, and xylophones are helping the students at St. Philip do just this.