The Recorder Returns to St. Philip

The Peripole recorder, with ribbons for mastering songs

The recorder, a musical instrument similar to a flute, is returning to St. Philip’s music class. This year’s eighth grade class is playing the recorder for the second year in a row, while seventh grade is playing the recorder for the first time. The recorders are ordered form Pericpole Inc., and are called “The original Peripole Angel Soprano Halo Recorder”. The reorder also comes with an instructive song booklet, a cleaning rod, a case, and a hands-free hanger.

For each song mastered, students earn a loop of colored string to tie onto their ribbon holder, which is made to fit onto the recorder. If the ribbon holder impedes the playing of the recorder, it can be easily and quickly removed.

Recorders have been around since the Middle Ages, and the oldest surviving recorder comes from the fifteenth century. The recorder, or English Flute, was very popular between about 1500 to 1800. King Henry VII of England had a collection of 47 recorders, and composed his own songs on the recorder. Famous composers of that time used the recorder, including Bach and Handel, and Shakespeare featured the recorder in his plays.

When students bring the recorder home for practice, there is always the possibility of leaving the recorder there. Students may forget their recorders, but Ms. Homan has a box of spare recorders so that those students can still participate in class. The seventh graders must all order recorders, while several eight graders have already lost their recorders from last year and need new ones.