The Annual Week of Kindness

Kindness Week started the week of October 3rd! It’s a school wide event and tradition where everybody is inspired to be kind. As Catholic St. Philip’s students, we should always be striving to better our communities and help those who need it. Here is a list of what each class did for Kindness Day.

8A: Hold your tongue – Keep rude comments to yourself

8B: Read stories to the second and third graders and kindergarteners, present a skit to the kindergarteners

7A: wrote cards of praise or compliments to the other class

7B: Hangout with someone you normally don’t hangout with

6B: Wore a rubber band home to remind themselves to do a kind deed for someone in their family and then they shared the next day

6A: They all wrote letters to Kenneth who left the school because he moved away

5A: there is a poster in the hall that says “Spread Kindness like Confetti” and they take pieces of paper and write kind deeds on them that they witnessed and the hope is that they fill up the poster by the end of the year

5B: They  are filling up a jar with pom poms which represent kind deeds reported by students to be certified by the Choose Kind website

4A: Broke into groups and took turns saying things that may hurt someone and ripped a piece of a paper person of then they took turns saying the nice things they should have said and taped the piece back to the person

4B: Made a kindness chain where each child wrote about 6 special acts of kindness they have received   

3A: wrote a letter of kindness to someone in the other class and spent some time with the person they wrote to

3B: wrote a letter of kindness to someone in the other class and spent some time with the person they wrote to

2A: Wrote kind letters thanking their families for everything they do for them and made a paper chain of kind words

2B: Students played a game where they wrote compliments to mystery people on popsicle sticks. Then the class guessed which compliment belonged to who.

1A: Both first grade classes had a speaker who visited them that day from Meals on Wheels and after lunch the kids from 1A along with 3 parent volunteers wrote and decorated Halloween cards for Meals on Wheels.

1B: Started a tradition of welcoming anyone that comes into their classroom

KA: Wrote Kindness Counts hearts for each other throughout the day and and then at the end of the day they read the hearts and gave them to the kind person

KB: made cards with a teal heart and had their table mates write nice things about them and then read the kind words

On Thursday October 6th, the school wore teal shirts as a sign and message to be kind. We had a special guest, Katrina Manaloto who is a 2016 Alumni, come in and talk about how we should be kinder peers to each other. Thank you Katrina! Lastly student council presented a speech on the saints and how they were kind.

Throughout the day, students were encouraged to be even more Peacebuilder-like as they built trust in their communities. Student council also set out a Kindness Bucket, located on the front desk. Students can write compliments and messages about each other anonymously on a slip of paper. This little act can brighten someone’s day! Good job everyone and keep it up.