Teacher Charities

Teacher+Charities

Once a week every year St Philip the Apostle has an annual spirit week.  Each day has a theme which the students and teachers represent in their clothes. Thursday, January 28, was Awareness day! On this day, teachers chose a cause or charity for their class to bring awareness to it. Let’s take a look at the Junior High teachers’ choices.

Mr. W., homeroom teacher of the 8A class, chose to support the National Science Foundation: Archaeology and Archaeometry Preservation. This organization “is an independent federal agency created by Congress in 1950 “’to promote the progress of science; to advance the national health, prosperity, and welfare; to secure the national defense…’” (“About the National Science Foundation”). When asked why, he replied that he believes that the preservation of archaeological sites and artifacts is “important to humanity.” Students wore the color blue on this day. Thank you Mr. W!

Mrs. O’Toole, homeroom teacher of the 8B class, chose the Pasadena Ronald McDonald house, located on South Pasadena Avenue. When asked why, she replied that her family is involved with the Ronald McDonald house, a “charity with multiple events to have an immediate impact and help children.” She appreciates the charity because it opens up many opportunities for students to get involved in something that directly helps and gives back to our community. Students wore the color red for this day. Thank you Mrs. O’Toole!

Both seventh grade teachers, Miss France and Sra Cross chose to support breast cancer. To bring awareness to this day, students wore pink to represent the famous pink ribbon connoting breast cancer. When inquired why they chose this, they responded that they wanted to support Mrs. Dopke, the teacher’s aid for the 4th grade, as well as her family. Please keep Mrs. Dopke in your prayers because she recently had breast cancer, but is fortunately recovering. Thank you Ms. France and Senora Cross!

Mrs. Scanlan and Mrs. Korman, homeroom teacher of the 6B class, chose Autism awareness. Autism is becoming very common however there is not enough support.  They share how 1 in every 68 children suffer from autism.  Mrs. Scanlan also explained how she has a niece with autism.  The colors that 6B wore were blue, red, and yellow to represent the puzzle piece ribbon. Thank you Mrs. Scanlan and Mrs. Korman!

Mrs. Bello, homeroom teacher of the 6A class, chose to support the American Heart Association.  She chose this to mainly support the women suffering from heart disease.  Heart disease is so common and harmful that 1 in 3 women die from it.  Miss Bello has also had a personal experience with heart disease. Her grandmother  had a heart attack, causing her to need surgery.  Heart disease is will be supported nationally on February 5.  Red is the color of heart disease and was chosen to be worn on Thursday. Thank you Mrs. Bello!

Spirit Week was so fun and we look forward to it next year.  For more information about Spirit week and some of the other themes check out other articles posted on Falcons Flyer.

Source: http://www.nsf.gov/about/