A Special 6-8th Book: Jane Eyre [Interview with Mrs. Ramirez]

Jane Eyre is one of the most heart wrenching classics ever, first published in 1847. It’s by Charlotte Bronte and full of emotion and somber romance.

This novel begins with Jane’s childhood as an intelligent but also mistreated orphan under the care of a strict benefactress. She grows up learning to curb her fiery personalities in an orphan school – and soon forms into an educated but also very plain young woman. Jane is denoted by many characters as insignificant and submissive for most of her life. She later takes up a job as a governess at the Thornfield Estate. In this beautiful account of events, she falls in love with the Thornfield master, a brooding and disturbed man named Edward Rochester. She is loved in her plain state by this man and her wittiness comes to life in the story. However one day, Jane finds out her master’s lifelong secret that threatens to tear their relationship apart.

Find out what happens by reading the book! Jane Eyre is so eloquently written, and it turns out that this classic is one of Mrs. Ramirez’s favorites! I interviewed our principal about this novel, and here’s what she had to say.

1. Why do you like the book?  

I first read Jane Eyre when I was about 13 and I loved the drama and romance of it.  I still think that it’s a really good story.

1. What are your favorite parts?

So many, but I guess I still love the ending which of course I don’t want to give away.  Jane is very brave and is not afraid to act on what she believes to be correct.  I love this about her.

1. Would you recommend it to students?  

Yes, and I have been recommending it for years.  

1. What are some other recommendations you have in mind for Junior High students looking for a good read?

I just finished reading a wonderful series by Rita Williams-Garcia about three African American sisters growing up in the 1960’s.  I love historical fiction and I found this series to be exceptional in how it made me feel as if I truly knew these three sisters.  My favorite juvenile fiction book is Danny the Champion of the World by Roald Dahl.  I first read this book with my son when he was in 4th grade and I just love it.  I re-read it several years ago and found it just as enjoyable.  Another book that I recommend is the Gregor series by Suzanne Collins.  I am not much of a fantasy reader but I did enjoy this series.  I also think that junior high students should read some of the classics like A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, The Secret Garden, Little Women, and some more current literature like The Secret Life of Bees.

1. Lastly, there have been many film adaptations of this classic. Which do you like and does it accurately portray the book?

I’ve watched several different film adaptations of Jane Eyre.  My favorite was a 1983 mini series with Timothy Dalton.  I think I loved this one so much because it covered every detail of the book.  It is difficult for a two hour movie to do this but a mini series is much longer.  I do love the old 1943 Orson Welles film version because it conveys the melodrama aspect of the book quite well, but it does miss quite a bit of the story.  It’s a fun movie for a rainy afternoon though.

Thank you Mrs. Ramirez for the enlightening response! This book is recommended for 8th grades and those going into high school soon. Jane Eyre is available in the Learning Commons under the Classics and Historical Fictions section. Keep on reading, Falcons!!