ITBS Testing Concludes

The 8th grade ITBS booklet.

Last Tuesday was the last day of ITBS testing for the sixth and eighth graders. Seventh graders, in the extended testing for the odd-numbered grades grades, finished last Friday. The extended testing is called cogat testing, which is given in addition to the normal testing.

ITBS is used by teachers and other educators for several purposes. During the parent-teacher conferences, the teachers discuss the ITBS results with the parents, as the parents may not understand what the results mean as well as the teachers do.

High schools also receive the ITBS results, though the the entrance exam results are looked at first and are of greater significance than the ITBS results in the admittance of students.

The results also help the teachers decide what they need focus on. When asked about the use of testing results, Mrs. O’Toole, Junior High Language Arts teacher said that teachers use the results to learn the level that their students are at, and also plan their lessons around the strengths and weaknesses of their students. If a class is very good in reading comprehension, then Mrs. O’Toole will give the students more free reign on assignments that involve reading comprehension. If a class scores lower in vocabulary, for example, then Mrs. O’Toole will reteach the class the basics on analyzing words that they do not know the meaning of.